Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I need help with work and Washington state laws!


I need help with work and Washington state laws!?
Ok I currently reside in Seattle, Wa and I work for a well known bakery in most malls! I was wondering is it legal to work someone by themselves from anywhere from 5-7 hours and tell them you can not leave the store. Which means you can not go to the bathroom! Then you are not given any brake. I was told because we are allowed to eat the food we serve they can get away from this. Is this true? There is one bathroom in the mall ( pretty small mall). I normally would put a sign up that says be back in 5 minutes then run to the bathroom. which is 4 stores away from where I work. My district manager has told us not to do that and to hold it until a replacement shows. This is the honest to god truth.
Law & Ethics - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
No. Federal law states that you must take an unpaid 1/2 hour break after 5 hours. I have never heard of a food business not having a bathroom, even in malls. I think you are pushing the truth here.
2 :
I would suggest that you go online and locate the US Dept of Labor office that serves the area you live in, then contact them for answers.
3 :
As an employee working full time you have the right to a ten minute break every two hours and a 30 minute meal break fro every eight hour day worked. This is not only state but federal law. If you're employer is violating the law then you need to report him/her to Washington State Labor and Industries as they enforce labor laws for your state.